If you are renovating your kitchen with custom furniture, you have made a sound financial decision. The kitchen is a high-ROI area in your home. Even if you do not intend to sell your home in the near future, kitchen renovation involving custom furniture will enhance your lifestyle and add more convenience to your everyday life.
The National Kitchen and Bath Association reports that kitchen renovations offer the highest ROI when homeowners decide to sell their house. Once you have decided to remodel it, you should define your budget. This guide will take you through the key aspects of the process.
1. Decide Your Budget
Decide how much you are ready to spend on your custom kitchen furniture and make sure you stick to it. The average cost of an upscale kitchen renovation is in the tens of thousands. Still, there are 3 key factors that affect your budget:
- How much you can afford?
- How long you will stay in your home?
- Your neighborhood
2. Expected Expenses
The different components in your kitchen will require different levels of expenses.
Custom cabinetry is an integral part of any kitchen renovation project.
- Design and installation of a cabinet box can cost anything from $500 to $1,500
- Consider the number of cabinet boxes you will need
- The choice of materials also affects the cost. Wood and laminate are common choices.
- Wood offers greater durability and richer looks.
- Cherry, alder, hickory, maple, and oak are the common options for wood cabinets.
- The production technique and its cost should also be factored in.
Typically, custom kitchen counter surfaces can cost up to $125 per square foot or even more. Granite is the most popular option, but you can also choose from the following material options:
- Quartz stone
Many homeowners consider quartz stone for its cost-effectiveness. However, the choice will also depend on your preferences and needs.
Flooring is also an important part of any kitchen renovation project. There are two factors that influence its cost:
- Surface area
- Choice of material
You can expect kitchen flooring to cost up to $40 per square foot or even more depending on the material choice. The different materials and their price brackets are as follows:
- Low-Cost Options: Vinyl, tile, and linoleum
- Mid-Range Options: Concrete, cork, and laminate
- High-End Options: Natural stone and hardwood
If you want to keep the costs low while getting the richer looks of hardwood, laminate floors make an excellent choice.
3. Set Budget for Unexpected Expenses
It is recommended to set aside at least 20% of your budget to take care of unexpected expenses. You should be ready for surprise expenses in any kitchen remodeling projects.
- The old electrical wiring behind the walls can be worn out or out of date
- A water leak may have damaged the floor underneath when the dishwasher is pulled out
It is recommended to leave some flexibility in your budget to deal with such unexpected expenses.
4. Set Kitchen Renovation Priorities
Creating a priority list is an excellent way to manage your tasks. It will ensure that your renovation project is managed and completed efficiently. Keep in mind that certain jobs need to be completed before others.
Counters before Sink
Counters should be installed before a new sink. The sink fixes to the countertop. So you should choose a countertop material and complete its installation first.
Layout before Flooring
The layout should be designed first before deciding on the flooring. The points to be addressed are as follows:
- Number of counters you will need
- Will you need an island?
- Will you be able to run power to all the appliances?
It is also important to prioritize painting. When it comes to painting, it will be best if the kitchen is empty. It should be done before the cabinets are installed, there is something on the wall, or you have moved the appliances.
Prioritizing has a huge impact on both the efficiency of your kitchen renovation job and your budget. So, follow all the tips mentioned above to ensure that your custom kitchen furniture design and installation project remains within your budget. Your kitchen remodeling expert can take you through all these points to help you make the right decisions.